Sunday, July 13, 2008

Module Two - Chat Rooms

This Module has comprised of a lot of new experiences for me with Chat Rooms probably being top of the list of things I will keep doing.

Yahoo Chat Rooms:

I tried to find a chat room through Yahoo but had difficulties actually getting into a room – I kept getting directed to the Tips for Chat Room page.

ICQ:

After watching a couple of the chats for while (on different occasions) and not understanding what the thread of the conversations were I opted out.

WebCT Chat Room:

Again I had little success of entering the Chat Rooms – but this was more of a technical problem with my computer.

Skype:

By the time I downloaded Skype I was ready to start tearing my hair out. Fortunately I was able to get online through the Open University Internet Studies Chat Room and have enjoyed three sessions now. The biggest problem is finding someone online at the same time to talk too.

Reflections on Chat Rooms:

I found the chat rooms very exciting – I enjoyed the constant conversation and the various different ways the conversation went. It reminded me of the description of the conversations that were had when pedal radios became household items in the outback earlier last century – the conversations between the different households was like hearing the gaggle of cockatoos.

Having stated I enjoyed the chats, I am also a competent typist which I think makes it easier to participate in conversations. I noticed that there were participants that seemed to take a while to type a message and then when posted it was only a few words – I can imagine for them that chat rooms may be a source of frustration.

I also immensely enjoyed the one-on-one conversation that I had with Lulu. It was this conversation that I think cemented my enthusiasm for chat rooms. I believe that this would be a great source of interaction for students studying on-line, it would help alleviate that feeling of isolation.

Chat rooms are known for socializing/meeting people, but I believe there is a place for chat rooms in business, there have been various examples discussed on the Net11 Discussion Board. I also believe that there would be a place for chat rooms in school education (as well as university) although these would have to be closely monitored.

Which is my preferred Chat Service?

Without a doubt I would have to say Skype because it was the easiest service to download and to get into.

Will I use it again? Undoubtedly, and just not for University courses, but also to keep in contact with friends who are traveling or who live in other parts of Australia.

No comments: